What is a “Bulletin Board”?
Bulletin Board is what plays on our channels (6, 17 and 22) when there is no program / show scheduled to play. The bulletin board will cycle through slides that residents, non-profits and city departments submit to us to play.
Its a great resource to get the word out about anything you want to get more publicity about. The best part is its entirely free. There is no fee for using our bulletin board.
To get started read “What makes a good Bulletin Slide” below and then submit your content online. Alternatively, you can drop off your slides at either one of our stations during business hours, or in the “After hours” Dropbox at Studio A.
What makes a good Bulletin Slide?
Heres what makes a good bulletin board slide:
- Properly Sized
- Slides on the bulletin board system need to be sized to fit. Use a 720p resolution, which is 1280×720 which is a 16:9 aspect (We no longer use 720 x 480 pixels).
- Broadcast Safe Colors
- When designing your slides, Don’t use bright colors for two reasons. One reason is that a bright color on a bright background is very hard to read. Also, bright colors like a bright red cause “text bleed” on television screens, making the text look blurry.
- Fonts not too small
- We recommend not going below Pt 24 font when designing your slides. Fonts that are too small can appear blurry on the bulletin board slides. To play it safe, don’t go beneath Pt 24 font.
- Not too much reading
- Slides appear on screen for no longer than 7 seconds per slide. With that being said, don’t stuff too much content into your slides, make sure you give 7 seconds to read the slide. If need be, span your material across multiple slides.
- Title Safe Margins
- In the world of broadcasting there’s a term called Title Safe. This is where you avoid putting text or other import items in the margins of your content. Basically, avoid putting things near the edges of your slides. For more information about Title Safe, read more here.
If you have any questions about submitting slides, send us an e-mail!
Examples of slides
In a nutshell: Use fonts that are easy to read. Avoid bright colors.
Correct Slide Size.
In a nutshell: The bulletin board cannot be used for commercial purposes.
Slides cant promote Commercial / For profit. Red Fonts bleed.